The 42-year-long wait of the War Veterans, finally came to end today. The Modi Government fulfilled the promise of ‘One Rank, One Pension’ or OROP. PM Narendra Modi, who had promised it before the 2014 polls, came true to his words and did what his predecessors failed to do.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar held a press conference to announce the OROP. The baseline has been taken as 2013, while it will come effect from July 1, 2014. The annual revision in pension will be held every 5 years. Total cost of OROP would be Rs 8,000-10,000 crore per year and may increase in future.
The veterans had been demanding annual revision in pension, but later relented. This is the biggest achievement of PM Narendra Modi so far.
However, the Veterans while welcoming the decision to implement OROP, expressed their dissatisfaction over other provisions, saying the One-Member Judicial Commission is not acceptable. He also rejected government’s decision that personnel, who opt for VRS or premature retirement, would not be eligible for OROP. They are also not satisfied with the five-year equalization slab. They will take their future course of action shortly.
What the Defence Minister Said:
* OROP ensures Same Rank & Same length of service -> uniform pension, regardless of date of retirement.
* The estimated cost to implement #OROP would be Rs 8,000 to 10,000 crore at present; will increase further in future
* OROP has been pending for four decades.
* Matter of deep anguish that various Governments remained ambivalent on the issue of #OROP.
* Despite the huge fiscal burden, given its commitment to the welfare of Ex-servicemen, govt has decided to implement #OROP
* To begin with, #OROP would be fixed on the basis of calendar year 2013
* Benefit of #OROP to be given with effect from 1st July, 2014; a date immediately after the present Government assumed office
* Arrears to be given in 4 half-yearly parts. All widows, including war widows, to be paid arrears in 1 installment
* Pension Revision Every 5 Years
* Future enhancements in rates of pension to be automatically passed on to past pensioners
* Personnel who opt for Pre-mature Retirement (PMR) will be covered under OROP
* One-member judicial commission to decide on anomalies #OROP in 6 months.