The main accused in the Mumbai hooch tragedy, in which at least 102 people have died, was arrested in the national capital on Tuesday and handed over to Mumbai police by a court.
The bootlegger, who is in his late twenties, was arrested from Seelampur area in east Delhi by a special Delhi Police team, Deputy Commissioner of Police Veenu Bansal told IANS. In Mumbai police spokesperson, Deputy Commissioner of Police Dhananjay Kulkarni, identified the accused as Mansur Latif Shaikh.
A duty magistrate handed over Shaikh’s custody to Mumbai police, a team of which is in the national capital. The court directed them to produce him before a court in Mumbai by Thursday.
“A few days ago, Mumbai police contacted us and shared the information that Mumbai’s hooch tragedy main accused is hiding in Delhi. I deputed a special team and conducted raids at several places in east Delhi on the basis of specific inputs,” Bansal told IANS.
“Finally the accused was arrested from his friend’s residence in Seelampur area,” he said.
In Mumbai, Kulkarni said Shaikh had been arrested in a joint operation.
“In a joint operation, the Mumbai and Delhi Police teams have arrested Mansur Latif Shaikh alias Atiq. Further investigations are underway,” Kulkarni told IANS.
Atiq, who operates from Mumbai, is believed to be the main supplier of the killer brew which led to the state’s worst ever illicit liquor tragedy, he added.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has directed the police and home department to ensure the death penalty for all those responsible for the hooch tragedy. Earlier, the state government ordered a probe into the incident by Chief Secretary S. Kshatriya. (IANS)