He also said in his budget speech that the government wanted to provide medical facilities in each village and city.
Union Budget Highlights:
Government committed to increasing access of people to the banking system
* Universal social security system for all Indians, especially poor and disadvantaged sections
* Atal Pension Yojna for economically disadvantaged
* PPF and EPF corpus to be utilised for senior citizens’ welfare fund
* Physical aids and assisting devices for physically challenged senior citizens
* Main challenges: increasing agricultural production; increasing investment in infrastructure; with manufacturing declining, Make in India will create jobs; cooperative federalism
* Agriculture credit targetted at Rs.8.5 lakh crore
* Rural jobs scheme to get Rs.34,699 crore; Every poor to get a job
* To work with NITI Aayog for creating a National Agricultural Market
* Need well-targeted system for subsidies.
* Direct transfer of subsidy to LPG consumers
* Appeal to well-off consumers to surrender subsidised LPG connections
* Organic farm schemes of agriculture ministry to be supported
* ‘Per drop More crop’ scheme for better irrigation
* Three achievements – Jan Dhan Yojna, coal auctions, Swachh Bharat
* Two more gamechanging reforms: Goods and Services Tax, JAM trinity (Jan Dhan Yojna, Aadhar, Mobile number) to ensure transparency
* Our achievement to conquer inflation, CPI inflation at five percent by year-end
* GDP growth at 7.4 percent in 2014-15 and at 8-8.5 percent in 2015-16; double-digit growth feasible
* We are in an economic environment far more positive than in the recent past
* Undertaken several significant steps to energise the Indian economy in last nine months
* India’s chance to fly
* Budget proposals lay down roadmap for economic growth.