Renowned surgeon and the 1st laparoscopic surgeon of Odisha, Dr. Ajay Mishra who worked as visiting surgeon in Mountzion Hospital, San Francisco, USA and in Hammersmith Hospital London in 1992 and trained in Laparoscopic Surgery in Post Graduate Institute of Medical Science, Hanover, Germany has received the Rajdhani Gaurav Samman on April 13, 2015 on the occasion of 67th foundation day of Capital city, Bhubaneswar.
The foundation stone of this historic city had been laid by the 1st Prime Minister of India late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1948 which was a dream project of the 1st Chief Minister of Odisha Dr HarekrushnaMahatab who was also the former Governor of Maharastra. Dr. Ajay Mishra got this Samman for his outstanding social services. So far he has done more than 75,000 major minor surgeries during his distinguished career spanning over more than 45 years.
He is a well-known surgeon of Odisha. He is also the Founder President of “Chetana” an NGO for mentally retarded children running successfully for the last 35 years at Bhubaneswar. It has also two overseas branches at Germany and USA besides branches in Odisha at Bhawanipatna , Balakati and Damapara.
Over the span of 45 years, Dr. Ajay Mishra has received many Awards. To name a few, some of the Awards are:
• Recipient of Four Avenues of Service Citation Award given by Rotary International President;
• Received citation from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India in appreciation of services in organising polio immunisation camps;
• Awarded Best Surgeon Award of the state in Odisha State Surgeon Conference;
• Life Time Achievement Award in the State IMA conference in 2012;
• Life Time Achievement Award towards outstanding contribution in the growth of laparoscopic surgery in the state as the first laparoscopic surgeon of Odisha.
• Felicitated by the Society of Endoscopy and Laparoscopic Surgeons of India (SELSI) in its 7th National Conference held at Bhubaneswar from 19th to 21st September 2014.
Dr Ajay Mishra is also a former President of Surgeon Association of India and Indian Medical Association, Odisha Chapter. At present, Dr. Mishra is the Chairman, Rotary Community Services Wing which is engaged in several noble works like construction of (i) Attendant shelter for the pediatric patients in the campus of Government Hospital, Unit no-6,Bhubaneswar;(ii) Building of Indian Medical Association (IMA) in the medical campus; (iii) Leprosy Rehabilitation Center for the children of leprosy patients near Bhubaneswar;(iv) Rotary Bhawan to name a few. Besides he is also the Founder of Sanjeevani Multi- Specialty Hospital at Lewis Road, Bhubaneswar.
Dr. Mishra is the younger brother of Dr.Bijay Mishra,the doyen of Indian drama and eminent playwright of India and recipient of Kendra Sahitya Academy and Kendra SangeetNatak Academy Tagore Samman. Incidentally Dr Ajay Mishra’s brother-in-law Dr. PrafullaKar, a famous singer of Odisha has been conferred with the ‘Padmashree’Award from the honorable President of India on March 30, 2015.