Bhubaneswar, Jan 12: Central Silk Technological Research Institute (CSTRI) , Central Silk Board, Ministry Of Textiles, Govt. of India, Bengaluru in association with Textiles, Handlooms and Handicrafts Department, Govt. Of Odisha have organized “Reelers Mela and Technology Upgradation Programme in Silk Weaving ” On 8th & 9th January 2016 in Gopalpur, Jajpur District, Odisha.
The programme was arranged to demonstrate the new technologies developed by CSTRI, Central Silk Board
in tasar reeling and silk weaving to the stakeholders of Odisha weaving clusters.
Sri.G.C.Ray, Deputy Secretary (T), Regional Office, Central Silk Board, Bubhaneshwar welcomed the gathering. The programme was inaugurated by Smt. Chithra Arumugam, Commissioner Cum Secretary, Textiles, Handlooms and Handicrafts Department, Govt. Of Odisha and she urged the weavers to observe the working of the machineries on display and opt such machineries suitable for them. She added that the weavers and the reelers have to be trained so that the new technologies are absorbed.
During the presidential address, Dr. H. Nagesh Prabhu, IFS, Member Secretary, Central Silk Board, Bangalore urged the audience to adopt new technologies so that we can replace the imported yarn used as warp. Dr. Subhas V. Naik, Director, CSTRI, Central Silk Board, Bengaluru informed the gathering that the objectives of R&D efforts of CSTRI are, to develop technologies for improving quality & productivity, reduction of drudgery, water conversion and use of renewable energy.
He further added that in keeping with the view of those objectives, CSTRI has developed and identified machineries for the tasar silk reeling and silk weaving and these machines are on display. Adoption of them will improve quality & productivity and reduce the drudgery. Further, it will also increase the income of the stake holders significantly. He urged the participants to avail the reeling machineries through the Central Sector Scheme (CSS) wherein
the beneficiary has to contribute 25% of the cost of the machines and remaining 75% is the subsidy from CSB.
Sri Dhirendra Kumar, IFS, Consultant, CSB has recounted his experience in Tasar industry in Jharkhand as Commissioner and expressed that the Odisha state can improve the production by adopting new technologies. Considering the forest wealth in states like Jharkand and Odisha, MP , they have a bright future in Tasar sector.
Sri.Satya Kumar Mallick, District Collector of Jajpur, Odisha spoke about the importance of adopting the new technologies in alleviating the poverty.
Sri.G.C.Biswal,OAS (SAG) in his address outlined the efforts taken by the Textiles and Handlooms Department in improving the tasar sector. Sri.NarendraBehera, Hingula Weavers Co-op .Society, and Sri.Ramesh Das, Sri Vishnu Weavers Co-op Society spoke on the occasion.
Weavers and reelers of Gopalpur, Naupatna, Bagamunda and Fakirpur have attended the programme in large numbers . Earlier, the dignitaries visited the technology Pavilion where different machineries were demonstrated and interacted with the participants. Sri.Kiran B.Malali, Scientist of CSTRI proposed the vote of thanks.