Fact Check on MHA Order on Snooping
ONI Bureau: The Home Ministry had issued an order allowing 10 central agencies to to access any information generated, transmitted, received or stored in any computer in matters of national importance.
1. Intelligence Bureau
2. Narcotics Control Bureau
3. Enforcement Directorate
4. Central Board of Direct Taxes
5. Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
6. Central Bureau of Investigation
7. National Investigation Agency
8. Cabinet Secretariat (R&AW)
9. Directorate of Signal Intelligence (For service areas of Jammu & Kashmir, North-East and Assam only)
10. Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
Some misinformation are being spread about the MHA order, saying the agencies would breach the privacy of each individual and everyone would be subject to scrutiny, which is untrue.
Here’s the Fact Check:
* The notification issued by MHA on December 20, is a codification of the SOP issued on 19th May 2011 by UPA Govt.
* Every individual case will continue to require prior approval of Union Home Secretary.
* 10 central agencies can have access to the Computers of individuals, but they have to follow due process. No direct access.
* Only cases related to national security would be subject to such scrutiny.
* Privacy of individuals will remain intact. The agencies won’t intrude into your private conversation/data as propagated by a few vested interests.