ONI Bureau: In a big announcement that could turn out to be a game-changer in 2019 polls, the Union Cabinet on Monday approved 10% reservation for economically weaker sections among general categories in government jobs and education.
The Government will move a constitutional amendment bill in Parliament tomorrow to push for 10% extra reservation. If that’s not feasible, the route of ordinance will be taken, sources believe.
The benefit would be helpful to those whose family income is below Rs 8 lakh per annum.
Basic Criteria to get qualified as Economically Backward:
– Who owns Annual income below Rs 8 lakh
– Who owns less than 5 acres of agricultural land
– Who owns houses smaller than 1,000 sq. ft.
– Who owns residential plots below 109 yards in notified municipality area.
– Who owns residential plot below 209 yards in non notified municipality area.