The Ministry of Mines through Indian Bureau of Mines has developed a template for Scheme of Star Rating of Mines. The main objective of this system is to bring all mines to a minimum standard of Star Rating in the shortest possible time frame to adopt sustainable practices.
The Mines Minister has said that the Scheme of Star Rating will be a vital step for ensuring compliance of environmental protection and social responsibility by the mining sector and has given a deadline for Star Rating of all mines by 31st of December, 2016.
The star rating will be based on the following parameters:
- Scientific and systematic mining to mitigate environmental impact.
- Addressing social impacts of resettlement and rehabilitation of mining affected people.
- Local community engagements and welfare programmes for socio-economic development of local community.
- Progressive and final mine closure to ensure for restoration of mined out land in better conditions then original.
- Adoption of international standards for mining operations and reporting.