Odisha had sought Rs 5,000 crore in the Union Railway Budget 2016-17 and received Rs 4,682 crore, which is the highest-ever central allocation for the state in any Railway budget till date. In 2015-16, the state had received Rs 2,514 crore against its demand of Rs 3,200 crore. The allocation is 30% more than the previous Railway funds received by the state.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik thanked Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu for considering and fulfilling all major demands by the state. During UPA tenure, Odisha had received just Rs 1,420.98 crore in 2014-15 and Rs 868.25 crore in 2013-14.
* 5 new railway lines announced for Odisha: Jeypore-Malkangiri, Jeypore-Nabarangpur, Banshpani-Barbil, Berhampur-Sambalpur, Gandamunda-Rourkela.
* Facilities for pilgrims will be improved & enhanced at 18 stations of the country including Puri.
* Centre grants Rs 120 cr for Khurda-Balangir project; Odisha to contribute an equal amount.
* Rail connectivity work to Paradip Port being undertaken.
* Rs 150 cr granted for Talcher-Bimalagada, Rs 200 cr for Haridaspur-Paradip, Rs 150 cr for Angul-Sukinda, Rs 12.87 crore for Daitari – Banspani route, Rs 5.21 crore for Lanjigarh – Junagarh route.
* Token grant allocated to Jeypore-Malkangiri and Jeypore-Nabarangpur projects.
* Kharagpur-Vijayawada freight corridor to be extended to Odisha.