India woke up to a tragic news of the death of seven people who were killed in major fire mishap at a hotel in Vijayawada, which was being used as a COVID Care Facility. The incident occurred around 5am on Sunday morning and there were about 30 patients admitted in the care facility.
As per the latest reports, 20 people have already been rescued and few of them are still feared trapped in the debris. Two patients had reportedly jumped off the building as the fire triggered panic among the patients.
Though the exact reason of the fire is not yet ascertained, preliminary reports cite short circuit as the reason. The hotel had been taken on lease by Ramesh hospitals to treat COVID patients.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy has expressed shock over the accident and ordered an enquiry.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also tweeted saying, “Anguished by the fire at a COVID Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. Discussed the prevailing situation with the Chief Minister, assured all possible support.”
A similar fire incident had been reported on August 6, in Gujarat’s Ahmedabad where eight patients had lost their lives due to a major fire which broke out in the intensive care ward of a private hospital.