The budget session of the Odisha Assembly began today amidst the walkout of the Opposition parties during the Governor’s Speech. The Governor listed the achievements of Naveen Patnaik government and told the House about its vision for the future. The Congress and BJP rejected the speech, saying there was nothing new, which would give benefits to common people.
The members of the Assembly paid tribute to former Odisha Governor Rameshwar Thakur, two former members and a martyr security official. The first phase of the Budget Session would be held from Feb 6 to 21. The second phase would be held from March 10 to April 4.
Key Highlights of Governor’s Address in Odisha Assembly:
* Poverty reduced by 24.6% in Odisha
* Odisha’s annual growth rate pegged at 6.84% in the first two years
* Per Capita Income in 2012-13: Rs 25,415
* Toilets constructed in 70,724 schools
* Every Block to have Model English School. 162 Model Schools to be set up this year.
* Target of One Lakh Employment in Odisha in first year
* Special Arrangements for Nabakalebara 2015
* Special Focus on Cleanliness, Sanitation. Power Supply and Clean Drinking Water
* Biju Pucca Ghar scheme launched
* Two new Rail Corridors for Angul-Sukinda-Duburi
* E-Auction of all Minerals except Coal
* 10 new ODRAF Units to fight Natural Disasters
* Digitization of Ration Cards to prevent Misuse
* Implementation of Biju Krushak Yojana with health benefits to farmers and their family members
* Decline in Naxal Violece
* SOG and Intelligence Wing boosted
* Special Striking Force for Jail Security
* Special Scheme for Surrendered Maoists
* Coastal Security enhanced, 13 new Marine Police Stations
* Special Courts set up to probe crime against women
* Development work being extended to inaccessible areas
* Four Special Security Battalions formed
* 37 new coordination units to check human trafficking.